Prep-time: 1 hour / Ready In: 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes 4 calzones
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 2¼ cups potato flakes (or ½ cup + 3 tablespoons potato flour)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2½ cups finely chopped peeled white sweet potato
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1½ teaspoons dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1½ teaspoons dried oregano, crushed)
- 2 cups chopped stemmed kale
- 1¼ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups oil-free marinara sauce, warmed
- For the dough, soak cashews in 1½ cups hot water 20 minutes. Place cashews and soaking liquid in a blender and blend until smooth. In a bowl combine 1¾ cups of the potato flakes or the ½ cup potato flour, the whole wheat flour, and ¼ tsp. of the salt. Add cashew paste and stir until a dough forms.
- For the filling, in a saucepan combine the next six ingredients (through oregano) and ¾ cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until sweet potato is halfway cooked, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or until sweet potato is tender, adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- In a blender combine the remaining ½ cup potato flakes or the 3 tablespoons potato flour, the milk, nutritional yeast, and vinegar. Blend until smooth. Stir milk mixture, crushed red pepper, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt into the vegetables. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F for 15 minutes. Cut parchment paper into four 8×11-inch pieces. Sprinkle a clean surface with additional whole wheat flour. Divide dough into four portions; form portions into balls. On a floured surface roll one ball into an 8-inch circle. Spoon ½ cup of the filling on half of the circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold unfilled half over filling to form a half-moon. Crimp edge with a fork to seal; brush top with additional milk.
- Sprinkle flour over one piece of the parchment. Place calzone on parchment. Lift parchment by edges and place in air fryer. Air-fry about 8 minutes or until browned on top.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls and filling. Serve calzones with marinara sauce.